Matt and Kevin crack open the ‘other’ category of investments, sometimes called ‘alternative’ investments. The broadest definition is any investment other than traditional stocks and bonds. With both stocks and bonds facing difficult economic conditions, many investors are asking the question ‘what else is there?’. This Part 2 episode focuses on ‘trading strategies’ as a category of alternative investments.
The conversation includes discussion of the characteristics, expectations and investment methods with respect to:
- What purpose can trading strategies serve in a portfolio?
- Buy-and-hold vs alternative trading strategies
- Using the whole trading tool kit
- Contrarian value strategies
- Price trend following strategies
- From hedge funds to exchange traded funds